Saila’s New Shawl
This little project started as a pair of socks that didn’t fit right so I ripped the first sock out, re-skeined the yarn, dipped it in water to de-kink it, let it dry, and then used my ball winder to wind a fresh ball. It is a high-quality wool sock yarn by Regia so it was able to take reworking without fuzzing up and falling apart.
Since I have never made a shawl I got the idea to make one using the free pattern for the Holden Shawlette. It starts easily with stocking stitch and simple yarn overs at the edge and centre for a lacy effect.
Along the way I decided the project wasn’t exciting me, and it sat on my dining table for four months. The problem was that I didn’t want the anxiety of doing the more complicated lace section. I like to knit but I don’t like to fuss and worry about it.
I caught it just before it got too big and re-purposed it for my Maplelea doll Saila. It is a bit on the large size but it gets cold in Nunavut so a large shawl is always appreciated, and every girl wants something pretty to wear.
In the 19th century and earlier, women knit huge shawls that covered their heads down below their hips to keep warm. Here is an 1840s silk example from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, and you can see the fashion was for a large, long shawl.
I used a picot edge for the cast off, just like in the pattern, but at an earlier point obviously without the lace section. When I wet blocked it, I pinned out each picot so they would lie flat.
Things I learned with this project:
Washing and preparing previously worked yarn to use again.
Making a garter tab to start a triangular shawl.
Using life lines in knitting in order to rip back if a mistake is made.
Russian join for joining a new ball of yarn.
Picot edge bind off.
Blocking a damp shawl on a foam board with pins.
No matter what, you can always learn something. I could see knitting some of these up in various yarns, sizes, and patterns for dolls, in order to learn techniques.
Explore posts in the same categories: Dolls, Knitting