I had to sew some borders on a baby quilt, so got my Pfaff machine out and tried to get it working properly. I finally got it settled down after a big adjustment on the bobbin case tension.
Then I thought I’d see how it was working with machine quilting, so took out this project for a sewing machine cover that I started in July 2011. The pattern is from the book Fresh Quilting which you can read about in this post.
I got it pieced and basted but the patchwork seemed a bit lumpy, I quilted it with the walking foot on my Pfaff and it did okay but I got a bit of skewing with the patchwork. Free motion quilting would have worked better in this instance but I can’t get my machine to work for free motion, even after having the machine serviced three times.
I’ve never done a double binding before so I did one on this to practice for the baby quilt I am making and it went fine. I’m not that fussed about this cover for some reason, but it sits nicely on the machine and looks nice and crisp.
The original pattern called for cardboard or illustration board to be quilted into the body of the cover. I thought that was a senseless idea because you could never wash the thing, so I made a sleeve, sewed it to the back, and slipped a piece of illustration board into it. That way it’s removable for washing.
At least it’s done. I think I might investigate buying a Juki TL-2010Q sewing machine. They are supposed to free motion quilt beautifully. I’ve got about fifteen or more quilt tops to finish. I love my Pfaff for piecing and sewing clothes but it’s not good any more for machine quilting.
UPDATE: In the realm of “You just have to laugh!”, I called for a quote on the Juki machine: $1600 plus tax which brings it to $1800 CAD. Way, way, way, way out of my realm of affordability.
I did however buy some Machingers quilting gloves for $9 and I’ll try the walking foot again, and try the free motion quilting again and see if I can solve this and at least get the baby quilt done in time.